Sunday 18 December 2011

100 Word Review - #8 - Payday: The Heist

Take a hostage or kill a man, both valid options
Payday: The Heist

Genre - Action

Metascore - 76%

Developer - OVERKILL Software

Other Games by Developer - N/A

My Current Playtime - 17.8 hours

I was interested in this game from the first time I saw it, with its ‘L4D2’-style co-op gameplay and RPG elements. I was waiting for the inevitable price drop when some nice person bought it for me. ‘Payday’ is a hard game, especially during your early levels. The difficulty has been tweaked recently to make the higher difficulties more forgiving, but there’s still a grind before you can enjoy it properly. The game consists of 6 heists, each lasting around an hour and is varied enough for occasional play, but can become stale, especially if playing alone, so bring friends.

My Score - 7/10

1 comment:

  1. This game was very long on my wishlist and i got it only recently. Maybe the game has improved over the time, at least i found it less of a grind to unlock more equipment and more of a motivation, although i have to acknowledge that it takes some time to get all weapons. I knew this before i bought the game and don't hold this against it.

    Payday has an amazing community in the game and in the forums, where the developers are very active, too.

    They are extending the game with a (partly paid, partly free) DLC soon, too.

    Each Heist does last far less than an hour, i'd say around 15 to 20 minutes are more realistic. As the variations in the maps is a key feature of the game i would like this more stressed, there are many random events in every map, some that can change the turn of events in big ways and some are only details, but the replay value is very high in my eyes. The challenges that give you a boost in experience points (or "money") add to that, too.

    My Score would be 8/10

    ReplyDelete